Sunday, September 25, 2011

And God Will Wipe Away Every Tear


I’m a sucker for happy endings. Seriously. I can watch that final scene when the guy and the girl get past all their misunderstandings, declare their love and ride off into the sunset over and over again. It’s the same with books. My favorite chapters are the big moments when it all works out and the characters finally make it through all their trials.  Sometimes, when I can’t stand all the problems in the middle of the book, I just skip right to the end. Then, when I’m assured that things really do come out all right, I go back and read the rest of it.

When my daughter was a toddler she had this curious habit of laying all of her stuffed animals and dollies down and covering them all with blankets; their own little private “tuck in”.  One night I walked into my bedroom and there were about ten stuffed animals lying on my bed, each with their own blankets snugly around them. Danielle was supposed to be asleep! In her mind, she had to make sure all her babies were cared for first. Crazy that my daughter and I share the same desire to see the world all tucked in and warm, happily ever after. 

I try hard not to think about what happens when the movie is over. Do you ever think about that?    After the lovers declare their feelings and kiss? A year later, are they still happy? I want them to be. I want everyone to be a member of the happily ever after club. I think that’s why I became a teacher, so I could save the world, make all those kids’ lives better.  It’s the reason I don’t like to watch sad movies and I don’t like the news.  I can’t stand hearing about all the sad people whose lives I can’t fix. 

Did you ever think about the fact that God loves happy endings more than we do?   The desire for happily ever after is a feeling God and I share; only His feelings are infinitely more powerful than mine.  God longs to see every tear wiped away, everyone's sorrow eased, and all of us living gloriously with Him in heaven. He longs for it more than I can imagine.  He’s the one who came up with the idea of heaven in the first place. If God longs to ease my sorrow in heaven, it only stands to reason that He cares about the sorrows I am facing now.  He longs to wipe away every tear I cry this side of heaven and wants to comfort me in my distress. He is not a God who is indifferent to pain and suffering. Ever.  My God is a God who loves more deeply than I can fathom. Thinking of that makes me love Him back.

Revelation 21:4(NKJV)
And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

No comments: