Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Art of Self Pity

Self Pity - pity for oneself; especiallya self-indulgent dwelling on one's own sorrows or misfortunes


I was a black hole yesterday, mastering the art of self-pity with increasing skill as the sun marched across the sky. Misfortune held my undivided attention in a manner that could only be described as disgusting. Need I continue? It’s kind of fun to go on about it now, but yesterday it wasn't fun at all.  

My poor husband tried to be helpful using what could be called a stereotypical male methodology. He listened patiently and then tried to solve all my problems. I fired him as my counselor as soon as it started to sound like “you shouldn’t feel that way”. He swears that wasn’t his intent, but I was not in the mood to hear it.

I let my attitude consume the day, and didn’t really go to the Lord until this morning. The good Lord never ceases to astound me. I could have gotten my ears boxed. I was, after all, in sin. (And I did repent, by the way). But I didn’t get fire and brimstone from the Lord.

These were the verses in my Bible reading:
Psalm 27: 13-14
I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.   Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the LORD!

Psalm 28:7-8
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him. The LORD is their strength, and He is the saving refuge of His anointed.

I felt so much compassion from the Lord. I did have some things weighing me down and He knew the struggles I was facing. He was there for me, ready to be my strength and shield when I turned to Him. He is more “for me” than I am for myself.  More than anyone in the world (even my very well meaning husband) the Lord totally “gets me”. He knows what I’m going through. The minute I went to Him I felt His peace and reassurance that life wasn’t so bad and I could keep going, and keep going with a heart that greatly rejoices. He helped me believe that I will see His goodness, and I saw His goodness today.  He is my saving refuge.

How do you need to let Him be your saving refuge today?


No comments: