Monday, September 5, 2011

Does God Tell Jokes?


When Jesus walked the Earth, do you think he told jokes?  Can you see Him laughing when you picture Him? If He was with us now, do you think he would be more likely to smile or frown? You may be thinking “Come on Tammy, does that even matter?” But I want you to really ask yourself those questions, because I think it does matter. 

How we see God affects how we live and how we relate to Him.  The movies that have provided visuals for us in the last 100 years certainly portray Him as this stern, rather cold being. In an attempt to make him look otherworldly they have made Him aloof.  A God who would send His son to live on the Earth and die a horrific death for the sake of mankind is anything but aloof.  He is involved. He cares. He is passionate.  It may be easy to visualize a passionate God, intense and strong. But can you see a funny one? Does your God have a sense of humor?  

My God does. One of my all-time favorite verses is Hebrews 1:9.  It was actually first written by the Psalmist in Psalm 45 and was a prophetic verse about Jesus.  “You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.” 

Gladness in this case means exultation, extreme joy, and well, gladness.  This means that Jesus was more joyful than anyone He knew.  He was, after all, filled with the Holy Spirit and that includes joy.

I’ve been meditating on this because school has started and I’ve let the busyness of the teaching year affect my joy. I’ve been tired and stressed. I was talking with the Lord about this and He reminded me to laugh. He made me smile.  He filled my heart with gladness. 

I do tell God jokes, by the way.  And we both laugh.

No comments: