Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Please Call the Plumber!


Loud noises are rising up from the basement. Yelling. The clanking of thrown tools hitting the ground.  Oh dear. My husband is trying to fix the plumbing.  Nick is actually an amazing “fix-it-up” guy.  Our home is a 75 year old antique and he has remodeled almost every beautiful inch of it. Unfortunately, for some reason plumbing is his nemesis, a foe that he never seems able to vanquish.  He tries. He tries for too long and then, sadly, breaks something.  Then the plumber has to fix more than one thing. It’s not pretty. And it’s happening right now. I’m trying to be the good wife and keep my “I told you so” mouth shut. I’ve managed pretty well so far, but I’ve literally been praying to God that He’d help me hold it in before I say something that puts me in the Bad Wife Club. Been there too many times—don’t need a membership.

You see, I know what Nick should do. He should be reasonable and call a plumber. But he doesn’t!  And then I have to watch him make himself miserable. While I was upstairs pleading for God’s patience the good Lord reminded me that He goes through this with me all the time.  He watches me go back to the same struggles again and again. He listens to me while I whine and complain (though I don’t throw thingsJ). The right thing, though obvious to Him, totally escapes me.

I have to try very hard to be loving and patient. But God IS love and patience. He does not look down on me like I’m a stupid woman (even when I am!)  He never gives up on me. He never goes to the Bad Anyone Club for his attitude because it is always poised towards me with love and understanding.  As I write this I’m smiling, because I have this picture of God looking down at me, shaking his head and grinning. The look in His eyes is affectionate, warm. He likes me, even when I won’t call the plumber and I break the pipe. Again. Come to think of it. If he likes me then he likes Nick too. Dear Lord, please talk to Nick about the plumbing!!   

I love this verse. It applies to this post in that it describes the loving way the Lord regards me (and you!):
Isaiah 40:11
He will feed His flock like a shepherd;
He will gather the lambs with His arm,
And carry them in His bosom,
And gently lead those who are with young. 

No comments: