Thursday, October 27, 2011

Exceedingly Above All We Ask or Think--2

I want to state this disclaimer right up front: I know that God is not my fairy godmother, even though some of my life stories sound like fairy tales.


In my last post I told about our saga with the Ford Explorer. We got the Explorer in the spring of 1997. At the time we were living in a 30 year old mobile home trailer. I was 33 and this was a hard road for me. I’d grown up with money. We weren’t zillionaires, but we had a swimming pool in the backyard, a hot tub room and big screen TV (before they were popular).  If someone had told me I’d grow up and live in a mobile home when I was 30, I would never have believed it.

I wish I could say I loved God so much that I didn’t care. But I did care. A lot. Every day as I drove my car up that hill to spot #51, I grit my teeth.  I didn’t want to give people my address because they’d know I didn’t live in a house.  It bothered me to be poor and it bothered me that I was so materialistic that I cared. It would be so much easier if it didn’t matter! One day I was groaning to the Lord in my journal and I felt like He asked me, “So what are you looking for in a house?”

Well, I knew that God didn’t say those sorts of things to people, so I ignored it. He asked me regularly for months. Occasionally I’d give a half-hearted response. One day I spilled it all out in my journal. I wanted a new house, a pretty house, one that didn’t need to be fixed up. I wanted three bedrooms, two baths and a family room. After I was done, I heard Him snap His fingers and say, as King might, “Done.” I was so frustrated at this response that I threw my journal across the room.  After all, God doesn’t say these things to people! But later on in the day I went back to the Lord. “As long as you’re asking, and just in case this really is you, I want to add a couple of things. I want a porch and a fireplace.”   (After all….what if it really WAS God?)

The thing is, there wasn’t any building happening in our town, except for a few expensive homes. There hadn't been new building for years.  But God sees the future when we cannot. One day I was driving to work and I noticed a new billboard, advertising, you guessed it, affordable new homes.  I called them up immediately.  We were one of the first people who signed up.  The house we had built had every single feature I’d asked for. Even my “add on’s” were added on.  We signed in the spring and in August they told us that they were adding porches to all the houses, including ours.  Right after we moved in Nick’s dad decided to give us a glass front fireplace!

As you can imagine, I was beyond delighted.  More to come……

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: