Sunday, October 23, 2011

Exceedingly Above All We Ask or Think



God is continuing to use vehicles to address issues of my faith. Who knew? In thinking back, I was reminded that car stories play a distinct role in my story with the Lord. I have no idea why.  It seems odd, even to me, and I’ve lived it! In order for you to understand my current story, you need to understand more of the bigger story.

When Nick and I were first married we felt challenged by the Lord to give a large tithe, between 23 and 25% of our gross income.  That made our finances very tight. It was compounded by the fact that Nick had graduated with a plan to go into sales and marketing, but we lived in a small town without those types of jobs available. We felt led by the Lord to stay in our small community. The ramification of this was that we had very little money.  It also meant that Nick was bouncing around from one job to the next. He kept trying his hand working with new businesses.  He tripled the sales of the first company he worked for within 18 months. Unfortunately, the owner was so delighted he decided to move the business to the coast. He begged Nick to come with him but we felt like we were supposed to stay where we were.  After that Nick tried several different jobs but to no avail. Finally, he just gave up trying for sales and decided to try and get a job at a local university. 

In the midst of all of this, our oldest daughter was born and I became pregnant with our youngest. In fact, during my second pregnancy Nick was out of full-time work. He was working several menial jobs trying to bring some money in, paper routes, a cleaning job, definitely not things that make you proud of your career!  We were praying desperately, knowing that the minute our youngest daughter was born we wouldn’t be able to pay for her life.  To make this story more interesting, that summer I was pregnant with Jacqueline we hit a deer that completely wiped out the front of our car. It was still drivable, but it looked terrible. The entire front end of this sedan was entirely smashed.  We didn’t have the money to fix it, and also knew that it wasn't worth fixing, but we couldn't afford a new car. So we were driving it around in its smashed in state.  Very humiliating to say the least!

Three weeks before Jacqueline was born Nick got a university job. As you can imagine, we were ecstatic! After a few months of steady income from Nick we started looking for a car. I knew what I wanted, I wanted a Ford Explorer. I remember the Lord speaking to me in my journal. He told me I was going to get what I wanted.  I wasn’t sure how that was going to happen because some friends advised us against buying an Explorer and we decided to follow their advice. I put what I wanted on the shelf and started looking for a practical sedan. Nick called his dad to tell him what we were thinking of buying and his dad said, “Nick, your mom and I have decided to give you our Explorer. It’s 6 years old, but it only has 40,000 miles on it.” This Explorer was absolutely beautiful. Exactly what I wanted.  They had no idea that we wanted one.  But God knew. Why did He do that? I have no idea.  It was a tangible expression of His love for me, though, and has always been a meaningful part of my story.  More to come……..

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: