Sunday, November 6, 2011

Exceedingly Above All We Ask or Think 4--The Pink Rollerblades


Of all the things that God provided for us during our “poverty” years, one of my favorites was a pair of Rollerblades. They weren’t just inline skates; they were Rollerblades (the cool brand), black with bright pink laces and wheels.  I’d put them on my “desires list” because Nick had a pair and I thought it would be fun to skate together. Nick grew up playing hockey and he was pure poetry on any type of skates…..I’d go skating just to watch him and be able to say, “That guy is my husband!”  Bragging rights aside, I knew we couldn’t afford them so I put them on the list. 

During the summer of that year we went down to southern Idaho to visit our families. While we were at Nick’s house, his mom offered me her Rollerblades. Now that doesn’t sound like a big deal, does it? What makes it funny is that Nick’s mom was 65 years old at the time! She was a real character who lived life to the full. She started rollerblading right when it first came into fashion, but over time she knew some good friends who had really hurt themselves.  She was afraid she’d fall rollerblading and ruin her golf game so she offered them to me. She had no idea I wanted some.  What shocked me is that they fit! I wear a whopping size 10 and she was several inches shorter than me. They looked brand new.  Oh and one more thing, hot pink was my favorite color at the time.

I know that life can be disappointing and painful. God does not come running in and solve all of our problems or “make it all better”.  I don’t believe that things will be “all better” this side of heaven. But the God I got to know during that time of my life wasn’t capricious or indifferent. He loved. He cared.  He cared enough to find me some great Rollerblades with bright pink wheels!  My rollerblades were a small thing that meant a great deal.  I didn’t have to have them, didn’t need them to survive. But my God who loved me provided them anyway. That’s just the kind of God is He is.

Ps….I still have them. J

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)


Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: