Friday, November 11, 2011

Exceedingly Above All We Ask or Think 5 -- The Gold Chariot


And now we come to (almost) the end of the car stories. It’s fall of 2002. One day I’m driving down the street thinking of nothing in particular and I distinctly hear the Lord say, “I’m going to get you a new car and I’m going to get you exactly what you want, so you need to decide what you want.”  It didn't make a lot of sense at the time because I loved our Explorer and it was running great. We expected to drive it for several more years so we weren't even thinking about another car.  Nonetheless, it was such a clear direction that I believed it was Him and I started looking earnestly. It took me several months, but in the end the car I most wanted was a Gold Chevy Tahoe (SUV), a 2000 or newer.

Since it was still distinctly possible that I was hearing things, I didn’t tell a soul. But when I asked Nick what he wanted, if he could in fact get any car, I was delighted to learn that he wanted the same vehicle, color and all. I had talked to God about cars several times, but in January I gave Him my final answer. His response was, “If that’s what you want, then you’d better start shopping.”  Again this seemed strange as we were still very satisfied with our Explorer, but I obeyed Him anyway. I studied SUVs until I knew features, prices, everything.

June arrived and the Sewells went on vacation to Yellowstone Park. We were towing a large tent trailer that we were considering purchasing from a neighbor and in the middle of Montana our transmission went out on the Explorer. Fortunately, the car died less than 30 minutes from condominiums our friends just happened to be staying at and they rescued us, providing a nice place to stay and comfort in our distress. Unfortunately, the mechanics told us that our Explorer was done, scrap metal.

Nick and I needed a car and we needed one fast. Not just any car, but one that would successfully tow our neighbor’s tent trailer over the Rocky Mountains.  Right after the meeting with the mechanic we returned to the condo. My friend Karen had been looking through the paper and showed me what she’d found. In the middle of the page was an advertisement for, you guessed it, a gold 2000 Tahoe.  We bought it that day. I knew prices and features so we were able to shop with knowledge. It was an amazing deal, and the car only had 25,000 miles on it.  The government was giving out tax rebates that summer and the money helped us with our purchase.

Whenever I see that car parked in front of our house I smile. To this day. I call it the princess car. After all, it’s gold, beautiful, and given to me by a king.

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: