Monday, November 21, 2011

Exceedingly Above All We Ask or Think 8 - The Rest of the Story


And so today we come to the end of a rather long tale.  At the conclusion of the last post Nick had just bought a sedan I hated. I didn’t want to admit to Nick how upset I was about buying the sedan because it felt so materialistic and ridiculous. I wasn’t saying anything, but he knew something was wrong, which made him upset too.  It was a mess. Finally, when I realized I couldn’t keep silent with grace I told Nick how I felt. Poor man, he got an earful!  I will always appreciate his response.  He looked at me and said, “I am so sorry this happened. We are going to fix this. There has to be a way.”  

The next day Nick called up the dealer, told the man the whole story and asked him if he’d let us out of the contract and give us our deposit back. To my utter amazement, the dealer agreed!  It would never have occurred to me to go back to them and try to get out of the purchase!  I was deeply touched that Nick was willing to swallow his male pride and admit the whole ridiculous story to a guy he didn’t know. But he did it for me. That’s some serious love.  Sometimes I wonder how that man loves a passionate and opinionated woman like me. It must be a special grace.

Anyway, at this point we were back to having money to spend and a car to choose.   After much discussion and some more shopping Nick decided that he wanted a red Prius.  It was, you guessed it, the fuel efficient car that I really wanted. And it was on sale! Halleluiah!  We’ve had it for a month now and everybody loves it. What a relief. 

Now to debrief:
Lesson #1: It’s bad news to turn the volume down on God.  Never stop trying to understand what the Lord is saying.  He wants to speak to me and He wants to be close to me. 

Lesson #2: God loves me. He gives good gifts to His children and that includes me. I can’t earn it and I’ll never deserve it. I realized that was part of my wrong thinking. I thought that when I was sacrificing by paying a huge tithe like we did when we were younger, then somehow I earned His blessing, whereas now I am on my own.  Crazy! My thinking is sometimes just plain crazy. It isn’t a matter of deserving.  God’s good, that’s just how He is.

I’m SO ridiculously imperfect. It’s like I’m stumbling around trying to live a life that honors God but I fall so short!  I keep trying though, because He is worth it and I adore Him.

Ephesians 3:20-21 (NKJV)
Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: