Sunday, December 25, 2011

Can You Hear I Love You?



It’s 7 a.m. on Christmas morning and my family is still asleep. (Remember, I have teenagers).  I’m sitting here in front of our beautiful tree waiting for the world to wake and yet relishing in the quiet of the moment.  Presents will soon be opened, food will be prepared and families and friends will gather around the world as we celebrate. For those of us who celebrate the birth of Christ, we have been given a gift beyond compare. The gift that changed the world.  The one that gives us hope and makes this life worth living.

Sometimes I think it’s easier to accept this amazing gift in an abstract way rather than a personal one.  You can believe that God saved you, but do you believe He loves you? Like really? Not in an theoretical sort of “God so loved the world” kind of way, but in a personal “God loves me right now where I stand with all my failures” kind of way?

God values you. He loves you dearly. God is perfect which means He is perfect in love. It means He loves you more than any other being. Ever.  It means his love is patient and kind. His love is unconditional. Towards you.  As I sat here with the Lord this morning, wishing Him “Happy Birthday”, I heard Him say “I love you.” I heard Him say “I adore you.” My heart was warmed with a sense of His deep and unfailing love for me and it made me smile at Him and say, “I love you” back.  Tears pooled in my eyes as I received the gift of his unending and unfailing love. A love given personally to me.

Can you hear the Lord say “I love you”? I hope you take some time to sit in his presence today and let yourself hear those words. I pray that you believe in your heart that they are true and specifically meant for you. I hope you feel the joy that’s in his heart towards you. And that you receive afresh the gift of God’s love given to the world and specifically to you.  God had a Christmas gift for me today. The gift of his presence and his love. He has a gift for you, too. I pray you open it. J

I wish you a Merry Christmas, I wish you a Merry Christmas, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

John 3:16 (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

No comments: