Sunday, December 11, 2011

It Is Well with My Soul 6 - Thank God Almighty, Free at Last!


It’s time to bring this story to an end. So here’s what happened:

I tried to go to Mayo Clinic to make sure we had the correct diagnosis. Mayo has a lengthy phone interview process. Afterwards they told me that they actually agreed with the diagnosis of AS and recommended I go on Enbrel, a strong autoimmune blocker.  I’d have to go to the chemotherapy department of the hospital once a week or two to get an infusion for an hour. It’s very expensive, even with insurance, and your blood has to be monitored for possible problems related to taking it. This whole thing would definitely be better than not walking, but I was extremely, painfully disappointed. I felt like I’d be sort of a sick person for the rest of my life. Nonetheless, I called up the rheumatologist to begin the process.  What else could I do?

In the meantime I’d been doing research online and I found a big fight on the Internet. There were people with AS swearing by this diet where you cut out all starches and thus kill the bacteria that lives in your system and mimics the gene that causes AS. If you kill the bacteria, the body stops attacking itself.  Some thought this doctor’s work was a hoax but I thought, “What have I got to lose?” So I tried it. And it worked.   After just a few days.  This was in July.  My muscles, which were pretty atrophied after a year of not working, have been growing in strength ever since. I started the school year without crutches!!!  I even went school shopping…..and it was a joy! J Halleluiah!!!!!

The diet is not a joy. No starches of any kind means no spices, no starchy vegetables, no grains of any type. In my case it also means no sugar or milk. Though the diet is a trial, I am so thankful that it’s working and I was able to get off the road I felt trapped on.

Do you know the story behind the hymn “It Is Well with My Soul”? Horatio Spafford was a wealthy business man who lost his fortune in the Chicago Fire of 1871.  A short while later, his daughters were crossing the Atlantic and all four died when their ship collided with another ship.  Several weeks after this, his own ship passed the spot where his daughters died and he wrote the song we still know today.

It gave me such inspiration, that song. If Mr. Spafford could go through so much, and still write those words, then I could make it, too. And make it not with bitterness, but with love in my heart towards my good creator who loves me and walked through every moment of my trial with me. He was a strong pillar, my greatest comfort--just like He said He would be.  I have grown in a patient trust through this experience, knowing that He helps us weather every storm.  I learned, deep in my heart, that with Him it is well with my soul.

“It Is Well with My Soul” by Horatio Spafford 1873
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain

2 comments:

Anita Cory said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. For you to be here, and "it" to be well with your soul, is certainly a testimony to the power of God in every part of every one of our lives. Your faith and diligence truly is an inspiration!

Tammy said...

Thanks for being my friend....you made the road easier and much more fun!