Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2012!


On New Year’s Eve Nick and I took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill; the fruits of all our labor in the basement on Friday.  While we were there, the clerk said that he’d had 50 people come through that day with donations and requests for tax deduction forms.  Clearly, we weren’t alone in our desire to purge and organize.  I’m sure we fit the pattern of some statistical analysis, the same one that directs stores to stock up on organizational bins and exercise equipment in preparation for all the New Year’s Resolutions that will be decided upon today.

Will you make any New Year’s resolutions?  I didn’t (not that it’s a bad thing) but I did spend time with the Lord and talked with Him about 2012. It is a tradition that Nick and I have. On New Year’s Day we spend time with God and ask him if there’s anything He might want to share about the year. It was a good conversation.  I’m not going to copy/paste the whole thing in, but there is one part of it I want to share.  When I asked Him about this year, this is one thing that I heard:

You need to enlarge your tents, become more than you are. You are going to be a more spiritual woman at the end of this year than you were last year. You are going to be closer to me, know me better, and be freer in me.

That sounded great!  And it wasn’t as if I felt burdened by it or like God wasn’t happy with my current state. It made me feel hopeful. He wouldn’t say that if it weren’t entirely possible in Him. It is what I want. It’s what He wants for me as well.  It’s where I’m going (hopefully) in 2012.

This is the thing I just love about the Lord. He is totally for us. He wants us to be close to Him. He wants us to feel loved and to know Him. He wants great things for us.  I hope we all press forward to the great things He has for us this year.

Psalm 126:2-3 (NKJV)
Then our mouth was filled with laughter,
         And our tongue with singing. 
         Then they said among the nations, 
         “The LORD has done great things for them.”
The LORD has done great things for us,
         And we are glad. 
         

No comments: