Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lent Is Upon Us


Lent started yesterday. People are giving up all sorts of things. My daughter’s giving up Facebook and all computer related video. For her, that will be a big sacrifice! The theme for me this lent is “Be still and know that I am God.”  Still in this case means to cease from striving. Know means to know experientially. I want to cease from striving and know God personally this lent season differently than I have before.  

Be still. Cease from striving. I’ve made a conscious effort every day this week cease from striving. This means that one morning I sat in the bathroom at school and prayed until I calmed down when I realized I was all tense.  It means that I’ve had to make quite a few choices to take a deep breath and relax.  It means I’ve cried out to God for help frequently! God is so good. He is hearing my cries and helping me do something I’ve never really done before. I’ve always been wound a little tight, driven towards the next goal. But it hasn’t been very helpful for my health and it is wearing me down. I have felt powerless to fix this. But God is big enough and I am changing. 

Know God experientially. This one is a little tricky. How do you know God? Especially experientially? In an attempt to put myself in a position to know God better, I have been spending time in solitude with the Lord. Here’s what it’s looked like. I’ve gone off by myself.  I’ve turned off all the music and the noise and I’ve just sat with Him. I don’t even really try and pray. I talk with Him some, but not steady. I imagine us both sitting companionably on a park bench, not saying much, being together. It’s hard to do sometimes, but I want to give my time to the Lord to be His companion, to offer myself.  “I’m here. I’m willing to know you, God. This time is yours. I value you.”  I hope He is blessed.  

Psalm 46:10 (NKJV)
Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

No comments: