Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Most Important Relationship 7 - Take the Challenge

So, do you want to play a game? I've got one for you. When I was in my early twenties and struggling some in my relationship with the Lord, a mentor of mine gave me an assignment. She said, “Go to the Lord and ask Him to share something with you. Ask Him to pick an object that reminds Him of you.  Then ask Him why it reminds Him of you.”  I did it. I went home and spent time with the Lord and at some point during the next week I felt like I heard.  Sadly, I was kind of disappointed. In my mind it wasn't very cool or special. I wanted it to be splashy, like jewel or something.


Want to know what it was?  The word God gave me was heart.  Well, I didn’t like that at all. I pictured a big throbbing blob of blood and meat. It wasn’t pretty or showy. (Isn’t that sad that we don’t always appreciate what we have and we wish for what we don’t have.  It’s certainly been a problem for me.)  God said that I had HIS heart. That I was driven by a compassionate heart. That we were of one heart.  That I could trust my heart and that He would continue to make my heart more like His.  That we connected at the heart. That the heart of the matter would always be important to me.

Little did I know as a 20 something that those words would in many ways define my adult life.  I’ve had people actually say some of those phrases to me, totally unaware of their significance.  It’s no accident that this blog is entitled, “Here the Heart Lies”. Probably no accident that when God started speaking to me about a blog He wanted me to share what was on my heart and what I felt like He was speaking to my heart. 

I have a challenge for you. Try this little exercise. See what you hear. Then tell someone you trust who can confirm what you’ve heard. It may change your life!

No comments: