Sunday, February 26, 2012

You Never Know Where You'll Find Inspiration

“It’s been a ride.
I guess I had to go to that place to get to this one.
Now some of you might still be in that place; you’re trying to get out.
Just follow me. I’ll get you there.”

“I’m not afraid.
To take a stand.
Everybody, come take my hand.
We’ll walk this road together.
Through the storm.
Whatever weather, cold or warm.
Certainly know, you’re not alone.
Holler if you feel like you’ve been down the same road. “

“And I just can’t keep living this way, so starting today
I’m breaking out of this cage
I’m standing up, Imma face my demons
I’m manning up, Imma hold my ground.
I’ve had enough, I’m so fed up. Trying to put my life together right now.”

You will never guess where I got those lyrics. I’m afraid to tell you.  Right now I’m sitting in a parking lot in the Tri-Cities waiting for my daughter’s next soccer game.  On the way to the tournament she played a “pump up” CD that a teammate had made her to “get pumped up for the tournament.”  One of the songs was written my none other than Eminem, a rapper notorious for the number of expletives that pepper his songs. He’s also well known for having quite a difficult childhood, sort of a “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” kid. I am admittedly, very sensitive to foul language, and because of his language I have judged him.  And then I sat in the car and really listened to this song. I’ve only picked out a few verses and ones without language (and there was a lot).  But as I heard this I felt a totally unexpected connection to him. He said out loud things that I have been feeling recently. In the past month I’ve gone for prayer twice and I feel the awakening of change. I’m starting to realize the black cloud of sickness I’ve been living under for so long. It has colored my thinking so much that I couldn’t even see it anymore. “And I just can’t keep living this way, so starting today; I’m breaking out of this cage.” Those have been my exact thoughts.

I should not judge a fellow sojourner. We all walk this road together, through the storm. Our “demons” may be very different, but the human condition is something we share. I am most fortunate to know The One who can really make a difference, and I prayed for Eminem today. He said, “Holler if you’ve been down the same road.” I say back to him….”Holler.” 

No comments: