Sunday, March 4, 2012

Prayers of Faith

I pray for my daughters more than any other thing. The ground of their lives is absolutely soaked with prayer. However, I realized a few weeks ago that I’d gotten out of the habit of daily prayer for them. They seemed to be doing fine, but I was still convicted and aware that the Lord has a plan for them and the enemy does too. I can’t quit being vigilant and proactive.  So I started back into my routine. I pray for the Lord’s protection over every area of their lives. I also pray that the Holy Spirit would come afresh and fill out home. “Come, Holy Spirit. Come and dwell in our home. Fill our hearts with your presence and our lives with your fruits. Inhabit our home.”   I pray that every plan and purpose that God has for their lives would be fulfilled. I pray that they would draw close to God and know Him better.  I figure, if they draw near to God, He will take care of the rest!


I pray these prayers with quite a bit of confidence, because I know they are prayers in line with God’s will for my daughters’ lives. I know God wants to do these things. It’s not like I’m asking that they’d marry some certain guy, go to some specific college or choose a particular career. I am praying for things that I know line up with the will of God. So when I pray, I pray expecting God to move and believing He will.

Well, this weekend I was making a run to a local frozen yogurt shop with one of my girls. We got to talking and she started telling me about what was going on in her life. She’d just re-listened to one of our pastor’s sermon series that he has online. She talked to me about what that spoke to her and how she was convicted. It was a spiritually alive discussion. I walked away from that so encouraged about what God was doing in her. And it hit me. I absolutely cannot stop praying for my kids. When I pray in line with God’s will, He moves. It’s like a spiritual lifeline for them.  And even though I think I pray with so much faith, my lack of prayer in the previous months showed that I’d been faithless. I had quit living in the awareness that my prayers mattered.  Yesterday I was freshly reminded that, in fact, they do.

James 5:16b (NKJV)
...The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

No comments: