Thursday, April 19, 2012

He Who Dwells in the Secret Place 6: Freedom

I’ve been thinking of last post’s picture all week. It haunts me, only in a good way.  I’ve never thought about the broken places in our lives as burned out cities, but that fits.  So does the idea that in the broken places I’m curled up in a ball between the bed and the nightstand….hiding.  Chew on that for a minute.  In those spaces I’m deep in enemy territory, miles and miles from freedom.  Stuck.  Alone. Hopeless. If those aren’t incredible descriptors of how our wounded and sinful places feel, I don’t know what is.  

Who decides to penetrate my hopelessness? Jesus Christ Himself. In all His love and power. He makes His way in the midst of the darkness and emptiness and bursts into my prison.  He comes over to where I am, kneels down, looks me in the eyes and says, “I’m getting you out of here.”

And when I say, “I can’t do it, leave me” He takes me by the shoulders and tells me that I can and I will.  He is the only reason we ever leave our prisons. He’s the only way we can leave our burned out cities. There is no other way. But by His grace we can walk. We can run. And we can be led to freedom.  The incredible freedom Jesus offers us is one of the big reasons I love Him. Lord, let me continue to fight for freedom in my life and the lives of those I love. You came to bring life and that more abundantly. And that is just the truth. 

John 10:10 (NKJV)
The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

No comments: