Sunday, April 29, 2012

Make No Agreements with the Enemy

The sun is shining and life is good. How exciting to say that! After wading through all of my junk with me for the last few months, you’re probably relieved to hear it, aren't you? I am!  Being in the midst of storms certainly makes a person appreciate a little sunshine. My leg is feeling good! I haven’t used the brace in several weeks. Last week I actually went on a walk around the neighborhood for the first time in almost two years! Yay! Thank you, Lord.


Today during this sunshiny day I met with over twenty fired up high school and college students who are getting ready to go to mission trips in India, Mexico and Thailand. I was invited to their meeting to talk about prayer and spiritual warfare. It was so much fun! They are all eager to go.  Part of my talk was about what goes on inside our heads.  Sometimes we let thoughts go on inside our heads that have no business being there. If we stopped and really thought about them we would realize that they are not from God. Thoughts of our insecurities, our comparisons, the way we worry about our standing among others; feelings that we aren’t good enough for God or that we will never make it; feelings of condemnation and guilt. God is not the author of those thoughts. God is truth. God says “There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.” He says, “Whatever things are true…think on these things.”  When we agree with thoughts that aren’t God’s thought we are making agreements with the enemy. We are shaking his hand and saying “you are right". We are building an alliance with the wrong team.  I don’t want to shake hands with the devil.  I don’t want to agree to anything he has to say.

Unfortunately I did that during the saga with my health this winter. I gave into discouragement and hopelessness. It’s sure a lot easier to see the truth from this viewpoint than it was in the midst of it all. But I want to learn to recognize the lies in the midst. I don’t want to wait until I’m “out of the storm” to see the truth. This week, as I go through my days I want to pay attention to what’s going on in my head and who I’m making agreements with. I only want to agree with Christ, and He says I’m lovely and that I belong to Him. I’ll shake on that!!

Philippians 4:8 (NKJV)Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 

No comments: