Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do You Love a Good Mystery?

There was a mystery at my school today! I had students walking around the building after school, questioning “suspects” aka teachers …….”Where were you at 1:45 today?” How did I inspire such zeal?  I made some cookies mysteriously disappear! We are reading mysteries this month and today while students were deep into Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew I stopped the class. “Has anyone seen the two packages of Oreos that I had in my desk drawer?” All the students knew that these cookies were slated to be served tomorrow in honor of our last state assessment so of course they were alarmed.

A few minutes later the custodian came in and asked me if I’d gotten the coffee mug he’d dropped off at my desk during last recess while I was out at recess duty.  I thanked him and said I had. The minute he left, students (who have clearly watched too much hoodunit TV) immediately said, “Hey, he was here. Maybe he took them!” it was decided that he should be questioned. After the class created a list of questions, we sent two detectives off in search of information. They returned with these facts: Mr. Russell had seen the secretary in the hallway at that time. He did not take the cookies, though Oreos are one of his favorites.

At this point the students were beside themselves with excitement and anticipation. I had a throng of would be detectives begging to get to interrogate the next witness. Notebooks were produced and one student quickly created some spy glasses (while she was supposed to be reading no less.) That led to three children wandering around Sunnyside Elementary looking for clues after school. I do have a series of witnesses lined up for tomorrow who will lead my eager gumshoes to the glorious cookies. Even though they are all pretty sure that I am involved (I was thoroughly questioned) they are still eager to solve the mystery.  They are loving the hunt. This may seem an odd segue, but guess what? God loves a good mystery, too.

One thing I have taken away from my years of Bible reading is that God loves a good mystery. He likes being mysterious and He has no problem revealing partial truths and keeping things vague. To a mere mortal like me it can be extremely irritating! I want clarity! A list of rules. A map. Something.  God wants me to trust Him. Blindly. He wants me to search Him out. He wants me to run around with the same eager zeal of my students, seeking to know the truth of who He is. I had a picture of God today, smiling and totally excited about me seeking Him out. He’s left a series of clues and witnesses for me. He loves it when I love the hunt. Seeing His happiness makes the idea a lot more fun for me, too. Let’s go seeking Him, shall we? I think we will find something better than cookies!!

Proverbs 2:4 (NKJV)
If you seek her (wisdom) as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures;

Proverbs 25:2(NKJV)
It is the glory of God to conceal a matter,
But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

No comments: