Monday, May 28, 2012

The Mystery of Who He Is


I’m almost done with my novel that I’ve been working on for years. I’m currently finishing up one of many rounds of revisions. It’s “Shack-esque”  (if you’ve ever read The Shack) in that God visits the main character and interacts with her on Earth. I’ve hit a place in the book when God has to leave her and she is heartbroken. My heart and mind have been full of this all day. What would it be like to know God face to face? And then to have Him leave? What does His love look like and who is He really? We know such a small part of who He is, as if a puppy can know everything there is to know about the human who looks after him.  

If God is who He says He is then He is Amazing. Powerful. Beautiful. Loving beyond anything we’ve ever seen or can comprehend. He is the epitome Goodness, Gentleness, Patience and Joy. He is capable of frying me on the spot and loving me to a degree that dwarfs human love and makes it look feeble. Take every good thing that humans are capable of and magnify that 1000 times.

To taste of that and then lose it would be devastating, crushing. Could I even go on? Could I continue to draw breath or would I just curl up in a ball until He came to carry me away?

Do I live every day attempting to more deeply connect with such a being? Do I seek out the mystery of who He is? There is a vast greatness to Him that I do not know. How much am I seeking to know Him more?

I am not despaired over my lack, as I know much more of Him than I did when I was younger. I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good for myself. But writing today has reminded me a fresh that I have only scratched the surface. I don’t want to stop pressing forward as if there were nothing more to know in this life.  I see how I have stopped lately as if to say, “I have enjoyed a portion. I have been blessed with all that I can know of Him right now. What more can I know?”  How wrong I am!

There is more to Him than what I know and I would spend this side of heaven in search of Him. And I believe He really likes that. J

Psalm 34:8(NKJV)
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good;
Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

No comments: