Saturday, June 16, 2012

Caught Being a Skeptic

I don’t think of myself as a skeptic. I've seen miracles. I’ve shared stories of miracles I've experienced on this blog. So actually, I think of myself as a faith-filled believer. Someone who believes this verse in Matthew:

Matthew 17:20 (NIV)
Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

But I got caught being a skeptic today and it shamed me. My husband and daughter are in South America doing medical missionary work right now. I miss them terribly but they are having an amazing time. I’ve been getting email and I actually got a call today! One of things they are doing is distributing shoes and socks to very poor people who don’t own any. They brought over a 1000 pairs to give out. It was the email about work at the “shoe clinic” that tripped me up. This is the story they told:

Today they ran out of shoes in a boys shoe size that is in high demand. Not knowing what to do, they focused on fitting shoes for girls until lunch. They went to lunch, and when they came back there were more shoes in that critical size for boys.  They had witnessed a miracle. When I heard that, the first thought I had was, “Yea right. What did they do, just forget they had shoes in that size in another box somewhere?”  I hadn’t let the thought simmer too long before conviction hit. I know these people. They are rational, hardworking people of faith.  If they were out of a shoe they would search until they knew there were no more. They certainly wouldn’t claim a miracle if there wasn’t one and it was just a matter of misplacing some shoes. 

Why was it SO hard for me to believe the truth? There are probably over 20 people praying for this trip regularly. It’s been soaked in prayer. Why don’t I expect God to move powerfully? This sort of thing happens in the Bible all the time. Jesus even said to the disciples,

John 14:12 (NIV)
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

In my rational, logical American mind, do I refuse to see the truth before me?  Dear God, help me to see the world the way you see it, as full of possibilities; full of your moving and your works.  Help me to see you as a God of miracles.

No comments: