Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wrestling With Forgiveness Reprised---God Has a Sense of Humor

   
I’m convinced God has a marvelous sense of humor, and like any good believer, I have scripture to back me! Here’s one example. Amidst all the high minded verses in Proverbs about faith and wisdom, there’s this little gem in Proverbs 27. It makes me laugh every time I read it.

Proverbs 27:14 “He who blesses his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning,
It will be counted a curse to him.”

So it appears God may have an important opinion regarding morning vs. non-morning people. It kinda looks like he’s siding with the non-morning folks! So morning people, time to be on your toes. J Maybe I’m just a Bible nerd (a nerd being someone who obsesses over the thing in which he or she is extremely interested) But I kind of chuckle that it’s in there.

I felt like God got a good chuckle out of me this weekend. I’m convinced He was looking down on me, laughing, and saying “I told you so! Now do you believe me? You owe me big!” He was having some fun with me….and I deserved it!

So what did I do to deserve this teasing?  Well, it had to do with my last post. I admitted that my husband had hurt my feelings and I felt like God wanted me to just drop it and forgive him rather than “make him pay” by hashing it out. I wasn’t sure I could really do it, but said I’d try.  Well, that was Friday morning. If I had not chosen to forgive him, things would have gotten ugly when he got home from work until we talked it out. Some of the gist of what I would have told him is that his words made me feel unlovable (with a definite you weren’t caring for me sort of tone).  Thank the Good Lord in Heaven I didn’t do that! You see, I didn’t know it, but I had contracted the flu, good old-fashioned influenza. Only there’s nothing good about it. By late Friday night I was feeling awful.  It’s now Wednesday, and this is the first day I’ve been up and dressed since Friday. I don’t feel great, but I’m not comatose anymore.  My husband waited on me hand and foot for 5 days. He took two days off of work and stayed up with me in the middle of the night. I was pretty much incapacitated.

If I had launched into him with my wounds and hurts after work on Friday, it would have made the next five days soooo humiliating! Besides, regardless of his hurtful words, he basically proved to me with his actions that he did care for me very much.  And in this case, the actions spoke much, much louder and more honestly than his careless words. It could have robbed my husband of the joy of his service if he was licking his wounds from a big confrontation. I don’t want that for him.  Also, he may have not wanted to help me after we had a big blow up, and I really needed his help. I was in a needy state.

This was just one more opportunity for me to realize that I need to continue to trust the Lord to guide my steps. He will lead me in right paths.  I need to keep listening to him.  He sees what I cannot. 

And, even though I know that God’s not much into pride…in this case he saved me from great humiliation…..and I do owe Him BIG!! J

No comments: