Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Running Desperate 3: Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Lesson learned: God can teach old dogs new tricks! This summer when things were bad I had someone pray for me. They said they got an impression that perhaps some of the muscle tightness that caused my headaches was related to anxiety. What they didn't know is that I've been the type who stresses my whole life-- wound a little tight. I’m an internally focused perfectionist (meaning I don’t get so hung up on other people being perfect, but I expect it of myself).

When she said this to me, I was rather despairing. I know the verses about anxiety “be anxious for nothing” and I've addressed this multiple times in my 48 years.  However, having non-stop headaches and muscle pain that erupted into migraines all summer created a certain amount of desperation. No matter how hopeless change seemed, I needed to face this issue. God brought it to that person’s mind—that had to be a positive sign, right?

Anyway, I turned and faced this. I started talking to the Lord about my problem. I asked Him for help, said I was willing and desperate to change. He started showing me some things I hadn't been paying attention to. Being a focused individual, I tend to tune things out so I can push to reach whatever I’m focused upon. Well, the good Lord started to address that. He showed me when I was getting tense or upset and didn't realize it. He showed me that I tend to rush places and push myself when I should really quit. Little by little He started pulling out the threads on the big huge knot of my being anxious.  I can’t say that I’m totally “all better” but things are definitely much better…. and I can feel it. Now I’m committed to keep working on it by His grace. I know there is only greater freedom for me here, and I am much more confident that God can do anything.

Six months ago I would have never believed this was possible….but as I continue to learn…..with God ALL things are possible. We must continue to believe that He is the God who sets us free…..no matter how old we are!!

Philippians 4:6-7(NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


No comments: