Monday, October 15, 2012

Verses I Love

Luke 10:38-42 NKJV
Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.”

And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

So why do I love this section of scripture? It isn't because I’m all caught up in the Mary/Martha debate. I know that we need to be both those who serve and those who sit at Jesus’ feet.  I love it because of the last part:

“But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”

No one can take me away from my place at Jesus’ feet. If I want that good place, I can choose it, and it will not be taken from me. That spot is available to me and no one can keep me from it but me. I want to live in that place at Jesus’ feet, the place of relationship. In fact, it is a place I love to be. I love being close to my Lord. And I can be. It will not be taken from me! No one stands in my way. I can be close and Hear His voice. 

Here’s a funny story about listening to His voice: The diet I have to be on for my autoimmune is not fun at all. Fruits, veggies, and meat. That’s it. No grains of any type, no corn, soy, milk, sugar, etc. There are a few foods that are OK for some people and not others. One of them is potatoes. I've tried adding potatoes several times with mixed success. I couldn't figure it out, because I kept feeling like the Lord was telling me, “It’s not the potatoes.” That didn't make sense because I was reacting to something. I figured I had just heard Him wrong. I finally found out what it was…..potato chips! I can do potatoes fine, but potato chips give me pain. God was trying to help me out, but I had a hard time interpreting what I was hearing. The cool part was, He really did want to help me. He wanted to speak to me. He wants me in that place at His feet, close to His heart. And I want to be there!

No comments: