Sunday, November 4, 2012

Plain Old Obedience


Sometimes it just comes down to plain old obedience. The right thing. Following God when you can’t see the end of a thing. Believing when you can’t see a clear resolution. Knowing that you might be wrong, but deciding that the risk of missing God is too great, the chance that He could really be speaking to you too strong to ignore.

What do I have to lose?
My pride for one.
Being right.
Being exposed as thinking God is speaking to me when He is not.  

What have I to gain?
God’s pleasure.
The knowledge that I was obedient regardless of the cost.
The knowledge (both His and mine) that He is more precious to me than my pride, my rightness, or my potential humiliation.

So I’m going to trust Him. Why does it always boil down to trust for me? You’d think that after all these years and all of the ways God had proven Himself that I would be beyond this dance of trust/mistrust.  

Dear Lord, I place myself in your hands.  I choose to trust you when I cannot see the outcome. For “Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” And so I trust. And so I will obey. Because you are worthy and I love you.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

No comments: